No Comments! Be The First!
Saturday, January 9, 2016
I am a couple days out from my second pelvic injection of Kenalog, my left sacro-iliac joint this time. I thought that after surviving the pubic symphysis, this one would be a piece of cake. It was not. In fact, it was worse. I don’t know why. I am not even going to try to figure it out. It hurt more, period. Okay.
So, yesterday my blood sugars stayed in a pretty good range and I was all kinds of proud of myself for managing them. Um, that changed in the middle of the night last night. I guess there was a delay before the systemic whammy happened. I woke up in the middle of the might feeling pretty gross, checked my blood sugar … 274. Shit. I took 8 units of insulin and 16 extra units of Lantus. Usually, for a 274 in the middle of the night I would take 2 units extra. I awoke with it still around 150; four more units of insulin and it still went up. Okay, so I tried to go outside to do my joggish, walk, joggish thing and when I got back it was 225. Four more units and onto the elliptical. It took 60 minutes on the elliptical to get it down. I’ve been chasing it all day. If it goes the same as with the pubic symphysis injection, I have 7 to 10 days of this to look forward to. Ugh.
On the positive, my left SI joint is already feeling a little better and the cracking and popping is almost completely limited to the right side of my pelvis now. Alright! Also, Bob is recovering from surgery and getting a little better each day. Our daily lives are still completely disrupted, but we’re rolling with it. I had a list of things I was going to do today, for instance, and I really got almost nothing done. I’ve had an upper back, shoulder, neck spasm on the left side for about a week now. I can get it under control with extra meds, but then I feel over-medicated and I don’t like that. So, I’m trying to find a happy medium and hoping that the steroid injection will help as it becomes spread out through my body as it “leaks” out of the SI joint. Fingers crossed.
I am not teaching this Spring semester. I can’t. I hate that. Oh well. It was a hard decision, but I think it was the right one.
I am hoping that next week, Bob and I can start working on the baby jogger conversion we’ve planned to make me something to help me get out on some trails and stuff without a possible disastrous fall or something. I’m excited about it and I think we have it planned out really well. We have already removed the seat structure, so on to the rest of the conversion. It will move my body forward into the frame so that I am between the back tires (for support and stability); the handle will be cut and flipped forward so that I have a handle and a brake in front of me that is centered about halfway between me and the front tire (which we are thinking should balance things correctly); then, we’ll attach water bottle carriers and such like the ones you get for bikes. I will take pictures as we work on it and post them. If it’s a hit, then great; if it’s a disaster, then you’ll know what NOT to do. I can’t wait to have it workable and to try it out. I’m not imagining that it will attract very many running partners, though. Ah, whatever.
So, that’s pretty much the update for now. Status quo is a good thing sometimes.